I live in WV and bought a new car in PA 3 weeks ago. I had a…

I live in WV...

I live in WV and bought a new car in PA 3 weeks ago. I had a trade in and paid cash for the balance. The trade in belonged to my husband/ boyfriend (we have been together 40 years and have owned a house together 30 yrs).

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

When we get a car, he keeps the one I have been driving and I get the new one, we trade in his, the oldest. After the dealer had given me a total with trade in, he said since we were not married, we'd have to pay $335 taxes on the old car. We said no, we already had a deal and we werent paying more.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They said ok, then sold me the car (new 2017 Chevy cruze). I have had it 3 weeks. Today they call and tell me they will not do my titlework and tags u less I pay them the $335.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just tgat Just that i told them I wasnt paying more, and they vould have this car back. They said it was already mine,but I would not get a title or tags. I have paid for those things. Can they do this?

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Sounds like extortion to me.... You could A) pay them the money and then sue them in small claims court for it. B) Report them to the Attorney General's Office. C) Report them to the better business bureau. Or D) tell them to go ahead and keep everything in their name so if you crash the car they will be liable... and then wait to see how quickly they get everything filed. I personally would go with choice A just because it's the fastest way to get title and tags, which you ideally want to have but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would choose any one of those options! Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Ok, just wanted you to know this is a large national dealership, not a little regional place. And I contacted GM, too. This is my 6th new GM car.

And they are asking for more money b/c you're not married?! That's discrimination on top of everything else.

And there's NO way that GM would endorse such a practice - so contacting GM was a good decision.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
they said it cost extra to get the title on the trade in, for some reason. Never happened when we bought a car in WV.
Thanks, you've given me a little to work with. GM will not get back to me til next week, but I have to deal with them tomorrow.

It was my pleasure. And if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.