My car broke down in between pay days and I parked it in…

Customer Question
My car broke down...

My car broke down in between pay days and I parked it in what i thought was a safe location in Englewood that held no parking prohibited signs. I went back to tow it on my payday two days later and it was gone. The Englewood Police department had it impounded and with my bills coming out short on getting it out so i asked if I could pay half today so my bill was less even though I feel like we should have been notified. She claimed it must be the full amount, which I'm still working on. The problem is we are the owner of the car, but it has a lien on a small personal loan amd their tacking 30 dollars per day and upon 30 days state the car will be crushed. My personal belongings and not to mention I have no idea if legal ramifications will take place and in excess the loan lien holder result have me stressed out. Can you give me any legal advice here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Colorado amd its a 2004 which honestly my kiddo has destroyed the value, but either way I'm more worried about the ramifications that will take place with this entire mess and the car isn't running so I have to get an entire new engine along with figuring out how to work out the mess with the finance company that holds the title. And any legal ramifications that will take place when clearly it wasn't abandoned. But I'm a regular citizen so confronting that with law enforcement proves difficult when you clearly didn't realize that was an issue here. I come from an entirely different state that didn't have parking limitations or clearly stated can't park here.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I contacted the towing company and the police as I didn't know where my car went, which I've learned since was probably not a good idea. But i was trying to be responsible since the tags state Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Pretty much just need to know what he or she recommends at this point as I avoid having troubles like this and its my first.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/13/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you cannot afford to pay the full amount to get the car out of impound, the best course of action would be to abandon the car if you can afford to let the personal items in the car go--if the personal items can be easily replaced. You can then concentrate on paying off the person loan on the car.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.