Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was wondering if the police subpoena cell phone records,

I was wondering if...

I was wondering if the police subpoena cell phone records, does the person who's records they are getting get notified?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Wisconsin and it is a current situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as an attempt to get the phone records?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Someone hacked into my cell phone. Someone also used a call forwarding feature and forwarded a number to my phone. Text messages were sent, not threatening but extremely strange and a lot of them, and when people called the number, it rang to my cell phone. Though it is explainable, I don't know what else may be out there and so I was wondering if my records were subpoenaed, would I be notified?

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

You would not need to be notified if the police accessed your phone records. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What has to be happening for the police to get a subpoena? If there are multiple text messages, they are not threatening but there are many of them and they have only been sent over the course of a few days, is that sufficient enough even if the time period is so small? What about multiple phone calls that are not threatening, just a lot of calls in a few day time span?

Are you thinking the police are sending those texts?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather just have a typed answer if you don't mind.

Based on what you describe it doesn't sound like a situation where anyone would want to subpoena your records...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They may not want to but would they have enough to get one if they wanted it?

They'd have to have a reason get a subpoena and you haven't described anything that is anywhere near suggestive of a situation where a judge would grant such a request.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just want to make sure I understand clearly - there have been multiple text messages sent and phone calls made where someone used my cell number and also forwarded another cell number to my cell phone making it look like it was me, nothing life-threatening but definitely creepy and irritating but only over a few days time span.

Creepy and irritating is not a basis for a subpoena. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney