I met a person on a gay app. there profile pic claimed they…

I met a person...

I met a person on a gay app. there profile pic claimed they was 27. we communicated by text message and now his dad is claiming he is under age and wants me to pay him 150.00 or he will file criminal charges against me. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. his dad was texting me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did exchange nude pics with him, but i thought he was 27

1/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. this appears to me that you are being extorted, which is definitely against the law. There are so many people that prey on men, claim to be adults, but then later claim that they are underage children and that they will call the police. In almost all cases, this is rarely the case and it is illegal for them to do that.

Usually, they are trying to scare you into paying money, but please keep in mind that you are not required to pay any money to this individual at all. You may want to contact the local police department, sheriff's department, and also the district attorney's office as well because they can help bring this individual to justice as soon as possible.

I'm very sorry about this.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to the individual telling them that extortion is against the law and that if you believed the person was 27, they have no case.. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today?

i can't be charged? he is claiming solicitation of a minor and attempted criminal sexual conduct with a minor third degree

I have no reason to believe that the DA would bring a case against you; rather, they should be the ones that are prosecuted. What they are doing is illegal and you are a victim in this case to be frank. Contact the police. Get some justice.

i also did get a phone call from an 803 area code that left me a voice mail message claiming to be an investigator and for me to contact the back which i didn't do. it was after 530 so i didn't call back.. should i?

Don't call back. Your next call after this conversation should be to the police. Provide them the # that called you, describe what happened, and explain you believe that it is extortion.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
ok Thanks.. i am gay and do like younger guys but never an underage

Understood. Best of luck!