My son did not pay for the registration on his motorcycle…

Customer Question
My son did not...

My son did not pay for the registration on his motorcycle for two years. Can the DMV legally take money from his checking account without his permission?

Lawyer's Assistant: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the charge for this service?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

What is the rest?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/12/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Before we get started, it is usually $5 to hold the question, $42 for your unlimited written interaction with me, and there is an option for a $59 phone call, but you can decline that.

So, basically about $50 to talk to me. Are you okay with that?

for a one time fee.
A phone call is not necessary.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Thanks very much for your patience. So, has the DMV actually started doing this, or are you just concerned that they will?

Why don't you answer my question as presented. If you don't know what the law is, then you may refund my money.

Well, the short answer to your question is no. I wanted to provide additional support to you if they were doing this. It's possible that a 2018 rule changed or a law changed that allowed the DMV to take such an action; however, if you're not willing to provide that information, all I can provide is the short answer. Best of luck.

You are asking me to provide you with the answer to the question I asked you.

If you are dissatisfied, you're welcome to opt out of the question and let another expert take over or contact customer care for a refund. Thank you.