Have a question about debt collection on car title loan. NC…

Have a question about...

Have a question about debt collection on car title loan

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

NC - 2004

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet but it involves a friend that is now separated from the husband. Husband is no longer paying and the title loan company is claiming she cosigned

1/12/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
The husband took out a title loan on his vehicle for which the wife signed as a cosigner the husband then took out a loan on her vehicle but his name was the only one on the title took that money and paid off the loan on his vehicle title she did not cosign on that loan she was unaware of that loan until she asked for the title to be put into her name the couple is going through a separation now the husband has stopped paying for the loan on her vehicle and the loan company or the title company is calling her and demanding that she pay even and saying that she was a cosigner when she is not the title company said that when the husband took out the loan
Phone call session started

Hi, I see you requested a phone call. That’s excellent! I have just one customer in front of you, but I will call you in approximately 30 minutes.

It seems like there is a cause of action that you may have against this debt collection company. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.