Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need help with step by step on how to... I need help with…

I need help with step...
I need help with step by step on how to...
I need help with step by step on how to open a rental car business in South Florida. Incorporate - licenses - inspection - tax receipt etc.... step by step with estimate price. I have this client and he needs to know everything. I greatly appreciate your input.- Incorporate we good
- What kindinspection do we need?
- what kind license do we need?
- The fleet insurance we good no need.business tax receipt ??? and what else possibly. ?
1/12/2018
Edward Young

Sorry for the delay. My internet was knocked out yesterday during a storm. I will get back to you later with the answer to your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you Edward can you give me a complete overview of the process. Besides incorporating the business of course. I appreciate very much I have a 3 clients at the same time and I have no time to conduct the research

Licensing

Licensing for rental car businesses are usually handled on the local level. An application must be filled out by an officer of the company, who then receives a certificate of authority to do business. The owner must then appoint an insurer to handle rental car insurance coverage and payment of a licensing fee to the state. For Florida, go here to see the licensing fees involved:

https://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/agents/licensure/general/docs/2-23-firm.htm

Florida will mail the license directly to the rental car company and the company notifies the chosen insurer that the license was issued. In most cases, licenses must be renewed annually by the payment of a fee.

City and county business permits

Permits are usually issued by the state in which the rental car company is licensed to do business. Having a license is not a guarantee of being able to obtain and maintain the necessary permits. There are several stipulations for obtaining permits to rent cars that vary by state, but most or all require an owner to keep insurance records for the state insurance commissioner, as well as to comply with local and city ordinances pertaining to zoning laws and waste disposal. Car rental owners who operate at airports also pay “concession" fees, and all owners are subject to city and/or state audits of financial records and on-premise inspections from time to time.

If your new business is going to sell or lease anything at wholesale or retail levels for which you will need to collect sales tax—vehicles, merchandise, other personal property or taxable services—you will need a seller’s permit. Plus, if you have more than one location where sales are made, you may be required to obtain a separate seller’s permit for each location. You can go here to register for a sales and use tax certificate:

http://floridarevenue.com/Forms_library/current/dr1.pdf

You will need to add each location in which you plan to do business. There is a $5.00 annual fee for each location.

You will have to check with the insurance company that you retain to see whether they can combine the sales and rental operations.

Miami-Dade County

All businesses operating within Miami-Dade County are required to obtain a Miami-Dade County Local Business Tax Receipt (formerly known as Occupational License). You can apply for the Local Business Tax receipt here: http://www.miamidade.gov/taxcollector/local-business-tax.asp#0

If your business is located within a municipality, you will also need a business tax receipt from the municipality. You can apply for that here: https://portal.miamigov.com/miamibiz

There are some special rules that apply to car rental companies in the Miami-Dade area:

Rental car agencies must comply with laws that:

• Prohibit affixing bumper stickers or insignia identifying a vehicle as a rental;
  • Require car fuel tanks to be at least half-full when provided to a renter.

See http://www.miamidade.gov/business/laws-rental-car.asp for more info.

A summary of required business licenses for Mami-Dade county are listed here: http://www.miamidade.gov/business/business-requirements.asp

• I hope this helps.

• Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young