My daughter was made to feel uncomfortable at a performance.

My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** daughter was made to feel uncomfortable at a performance. She is 17 years old. The man who made her uncomfortable was arrested for child molestation (other girls were involved). The police contacted my daughter and took her statement without parents present. This made me feel uncomfortable, but we let it be. Now she has been contacted directly by a private detective for the defense, and I have responded only saying I wanted to speak to an attorney. How should we proceed, I don't want her to be exposed anymore to this issue. People are talking and treating her like she was the one molested (she was not) and she feels generally uneasy with the entire circumstance. How can we protect her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California December 2, 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The parent of the other girls (sisters) has pressed charges. He has been arrested. My daughter was interviewed as well as some other people

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, this is a great start

1/12/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

How did the private detective contact her directly? Did he call her on her cell phone or approach her personally?

.

Was daughter's interaction with the person to a level where she might be called as a witness in a criminal prosecution?

.

.

thanks

She was contacted by cell phone (don't know how they got her number). Yes I believe so.
Thank you anyway. We will seek advise elsewhere.

I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

Ok, then it might be a good idea to change her cell number and then notify the DA that you, as her parents and legal guardians, are informing them that daughter does not wish to act as a witness and has no interest in being a part of the case and will not assist in any way with any prosecution.

.

Once they realize that they have an uncooperative witness who will just sit there silently and not say anything, they will typically just give up on having her as a witness and move on to the more willing ones. The DA never wants to have an unwilling witness as it can taint their case if it seems they are forcing someone to testify and make a conviction less likely..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Managing Partner
Phone call session started

Further, they are not to ever contact her directly again and are on notice that any attempted contact should go through you or an attorney first.

.

.

.

thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** done, we don't need any further advise.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

.

Thanks much