Is there a statute of limitations on property damage?

Is there a statute...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The damage happened approximately 10 years ago and it involved drunk driving, stolen vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident. No personal injury, but the insurance company is talking law suit. The person who caused the damage is serving a sentence.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am talking about my son and he has asked that I find out the information.

1/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Is there a statute of limitations on property damage? It involved drunk driving, stolen vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident. No personal injury, but the insurance company is talking suing for the person's vehicle. The incident happened approximately 10 years ago and the person who caused it is serving time for the crimes.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is yes. In MA, the statute of limitations on property damage is three years. (Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 260, §§ 2A, 4; Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 106, § 2-318.) This means that if they di bring a lawsuit, you could request a motion to dismiss on the grounds that the time has significantly passed and it is highly probable that a judge would agree with you.

What other questions did you have for me today?

The incident happened in Massachusetts.
Thank you for now. I will relay the information to my son and if he has other issues I will contact you..

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer