Can a minor sign a contract for performing professionally as…

Can a minor sign...

Can a minor sign a contract for performing professionally as a singer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. We have the contract now to be signed by “actor or agent.”

1/11/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. A minor in CA cannot sign a binding contract. The law does not recognize them as having the legal capacity to sign. Generally such contracts are signed by the parent or agent for the child. Please remember that even if the parent signs the contract "for" the child, the child can still walk away from the contract. CA law allows any child (under 18) to disaffirm (get out of) their contracts. Therefore, if a child decides to disaffirm a contract, the parent who signed may be on the hook financially for the obligations, unless the agreement states otherwise.

It is best to have an Agent sign for the child. Agents are regulated by the Talent Agency Act in CA. Their activities are limited to avoid conflicts of interest. In exchange, agents have the right to procure employment and the right to have their contracts with children court approved (so children can not disaffirm the contracts).

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
Thank you, ***** ***** answer is very clear.

You're welcome. Good luck.