My mother had an insurance policy when changed benficerarys…

My mother had an insurance...
My mother had an insurance policy when changed benficerarys she put the date in the wrong spot, and she never received the letter saying her beneficerarys where not changed, after she passed the money was split and not sent to me but split between me and my brother, at first he said he would just send the money to me because the policy was to pay funeral expenses and build a shop a my house for my fathers tools. I called three time to make sure he was still sending the money before I paid for the shop to be built. Now his wife won’t the money and he will not return calls. I paid all her bills and funeral out of my money, can I sue him for anything.
1/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure
An answer on here is fine

Thanks so much for your patience.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising them that they may be in violation of civil law if they continue on with keeping the money There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Just so you know, it seems as if they are engaging in a conversion. A conversion is when someone engages in substantial dominion and control over property that you have the right to. If you had a right to that money, then they cannot keep it, and you could sue them for the difference.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

My mom did not have a will she just changed all her policies to me, all I have is intent that she wanted the money to go to me with a copy of where she tried to change the beneficiary
Would that be enough

Yes. You do not need bulletproof, 100%, completely solid evidence to win a case. You just need to show through clear and convincing evidence that you had a right to that money. You may need to let a judge decide this for you, but that evidence should be sufficient.

How else can I help you today?

That is all thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer