My daughter just fired her public defender now what happens?

My daughter just fired...

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

She been in jail since april and they have not completed the"pre-trial" next court date is 1/17/18

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is a fair and speedy trial for a 30 year old white female with a masters degree and a 1st timer (accidental homicide driving while intoxicated)

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your daughter should be able to request a new public defender unless she wants to go unrepresented. It is important that you, or her, contact the state public defender's office immediately so she can have an attorney provide some advice before her upcoming hearings.

To contact the State Public Defender’s Office, go to:

17 South Fairchild Street, 2nd Floor,
Madison, WI 53703
(The State Public Defender’s office is about one block away from the courthouse.)
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

As far as a speedy trial, it really depends on how busy the court is. The Constitution requires that there be a speedy and public trial for all people, but they have to work within the boundaries of the cases they have. This just prevents them from sitting in a jail cell indefinitely. A new lawyer may be able to request hearing dates be moved up. If she is a first time offender, that may work for her, especially if she wasn't intoxicated. Her age may also help her get a lighter penalty, if she is found guilty, but her race can't be considered as a factor.

How else can I help you today?

she was intoxicated, and been sitting in jail since april with an outrageous bond that I am unable to pay. sorry race thing was rude from me....having a bad year

I'm so sorry to hear about that. i can't imagine if it was one of my daughters so I can certainly understand. I would speak with the public defender's office today and explain that it's been 8 months since she's been locked up and that is a long time for anyone. She likely can forget about her job or any way to make money, and this is what the Constitution was designed to prevent.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

I have tried to contact her public defender and their superiors several times in last 8 months with no response one of us (my daughter and I) needs to know what is going on she has only seen her lawyer for 5 minutes before each court date which just keeps getting pushed out and is still in pre-trial, should I hire a criminal lawyer at this point?

I'm so sorry to hear that. I would definitely recommend a private criminal attorney in your area. Many of them set up shop right near the courthouse.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Wisconsin LRS click here.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer