I have a leased a car back in November 2015 and the lease is…

Hi, I have a leased a...
I have a leased a car back in November 2015 and the lease is for three years. At the time that I was leasing nobody from the dealership gave me any instruction on what insurance to buy for the car. Therefore I purchased an insurance online without any research and gave the policy to the dealership they confirmed and signed off on it and I signed the lease agreement.A few weeks ago I had a car accident and when I wanted to use my insurance I found out that I don't have collision and comprehensive insurance on my vehicle. This was very surprising to me because i was thinking that I should have it because it's a leased vehicle but to my surprise , The person from the dealership who signed off on my insurance has not paid attention to the type of insurance that I have.Also I just read the contract and it says that I should have listed the lease company as additional insured and loss payee. I want to purchase the right insurance for my car now and add the leasing company as additional insured, but I'm worried now, because I was told that by adding them, the insurance company will notify them.If they get notified now and go through my history and find out that I haven't had the right insurance for so long, will this put me in danger of lease termination by them?
What do you suggest in this case? should I change my insurance company and notify them of a new policy so they don't check the old one?
1/10/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is easily corrected. The need to have the dealership listed as first payee is incase the vehicle is totaled. Since it was not and you had the vehicle repaired you are okay for the past accident.

BUT you need total coverage for the car - as you have learned.

You are not locked into any particular insurance company and you can change companies and policies without violating the terms of the lease as long as you obtain full coverage.

When you change the policy and/or the insurance company the dealership will get a notice of the change - BUT not the reason why. The dealership will merely update their files showing the new policy. The previous policy will be moot and irrelevant.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thank you very much for your answer this gives me a lot of relief. The only thing I wanted to mention is that after fully reading the contract now I found out that it says I have to notify the lease company before any cancellation or drop of coverage in my policy. Does this mean that I have to let them know before I change my insurance company? My worry is that in that case they might notice that my current policy is flawed.
No. You are not dropping coverage. You are only changing the policy.Also, don't worry. 1) they generally don't check these things.
2) because they approved the first policy there may be an estoppel. This is a legal principle that prevents them from holding you responsible for their mistake.
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Ok great, Thank you for your answers.

Thank you.