Can a business post the names of people who did not pay

Customer Question
Can a business post...

Can a business post the names of people who did not pay their bills on the wall of their business which is In the view of their customers.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No it’s a local family owned business that likes to put a big sign that Is behind the counter with all the people that have not paid them in full.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this considered defamation or slander Is this considered defamation or slander

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Defamation (which consists of "slander" when verbal and "libel" when in written form) is a claim that only arises when the statements being made are false. So, if it's true that a customer has not paid in full, a business owner does not commit defamation or any other violation of law by posting such information publicly. It's not a good way of doing business and doesn't show much class on the part of the business, but it would not be actionable on any legal theory.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Are you online with me?