I need advice for a legal vs professional name change,

I need advice for...

I need advice for a legal vs professional name change

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, legal name change by marriage

1/9/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Can you explain the situation a little more?

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Hello.
I have a professional degree and a reputation under my married name. I changed my name when I got married moving my maiden name to my middle name and using my husband's last name as my new last name. The legal department at my work says that I must sign work documents with my new married name. I was under the impression that I could still sign as Tracy <maiden name> since that is still my legal name. They are telling me that I cannot. I don't want to give up 15+ years of professional name recognition.
Also, just FYI, the reports that I sign are scientific reports that are included in regulatory submissions to governments around the world.
So, is there a way that I can continue to use my maiden name as my professional name? Can an individual apply for a 'doing business as' designation?
Thank you!
Tracy
Sorry. That first sentence should read that I have a professional reputation under my maiden name...
Irwin Law
Phone call session started