On the way to M. D. cancer center about 12:50 pm today for…

Customer Question
On the way to...

On the way to M. D. Anderson cancer center about 12:50 pm today for physical therapy, my husband drove 79 mph N on Shadeland Ave. I try to coexist peacefully with him, but it is nearly impossible. I am afraid for my life, because I believe he is unstable. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

IN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I don't know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. When I was in surgery for cancer, he convinced my adult children (two from out of state, and one a resident of IN and police officer) that I frequently said I would shoot him. This is totally untrue. He is an attorney, and, to my mind, a con artist. The result was that when I was returned to my hospital room from surgery, my children were present, but he was not. One of them said my son was going to lock up my guns for safekeeping. Still recovering from anesthesia, they say I agreed. I barely remember seeing them; I did not even recall anything my doctor said when he stopped in briefly. Several days after returning home, I opened a drawer to find an address book, and discovered to my shock that my guns were gone. One was purchased by me when I was an Army nurse, in response to several break-ins, for self-defense (I was a single Mom). It was never shot except for target practice. The other is a Colt .45, part of my inheritance, from my father, which I received about 2004. My husband has never seen either of them. I have never pointed a gun at him nor said I was going to kill him. However, I have said I will take no more abuse; "If you hurt me or put my life in jeopardy, I will shoot you; you first." Self-defense, in other words. It takes a real low-life to tell the kids I'm planning to kill him and then steal my guns while I'm a 4th-stage cancer patient undergoing surgery. I have another weapon (also legally mine and registered), but it has never been pointed nor brandished about. So they missed it, and he's still alive. Flies in the face of his lies.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Have you reported him to law enforcement as a danger to himself and others?

I think you are telling me that all Attorneys are con artists, I will try not to take that personally. Have you reported him as a danger to himself or others?

I have not reported him to law enforcement because I do not want to act in a frivolous or incorrect manner, but I have confided in hospital personnel that I feel he is unstable and has hurt me before. Yes, he is an attorney, but is retired. I do not think all attorneys are con artists, or I would not be giving you such personal information.
i

There is a duty to report a person that is a danger to themselves or others. The other option is an order of protection. I don't see that continuing in this situation is beneficial to anyone. Ultimately a Judge and psychiatrists evaluate him and decide if he needs mental health assistance.

No thanks, I'll find another way. You keep raising the cost and asking questions but have not answered mine.

I am not raising the cost. If the site offers you an additional service please ignore it as it is not coming from me.

As I stated you have 2 choices an order of protection or a mental health evaluation.