I am an employer. I am planning on cancelling my employees…

Customer Question
I am an employer...

I am an employer. I am planning on cancelling my employees health insurance tomorrow, 1/10 and having the cancellation effective back to 1/1. We have had one payroll since 1/1 and there were deductions for health and dental insurance taken from the employees. If I refund the employee contributions for that first pay period and offer them COBRA effective 1/1 am I liable for any claims incurred during that first week

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Company is located in MA. Coverage was renewed effective 1/1/18 for an existing health and dental insurance policies.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Some of the other employees are out of state.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If you did not give the employees 30 day notice of cancellation and they had health insurance, you cannot make the cancellation retroactive even if you refund their money and offer COBRA. Any claims incurred during the time when they believed to have insurance and did not get a notice of cancellation would be your liability.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.