I was involved in an accident with 7 semis and 11 personal…

Customer Question
I was involved in...

I was involved in an accident with 7 semis and 11 personal vehicles in nov 2015. the police never gave any tickets because they said it basically an act of god. one of the people involved in the accident decided to sue. I am a defendant with the company I was driving for. I or (we) are suppose to file an anwser by the end of January. I was going to hire my own lawyer and I talked to one but he said the company I worked for and their insurance should cover it. I called the company involved twice and they stated that they have not been notified by their people my question is since I am a defendant with the trucking co. am I covered with the company or do I need to do something on my own? I am worried about not getting an answer filed by the end of the month

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have legal papers from the plaintiff but as far as the trucking co. I have no idea what is going on I talked to co twice and he is waiting to hear back from his people

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if i am covered with the trucking co, or not .I need to file a answer or motion by the end of the month if i have to do it by myself

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will try to assist you today. If you were driving for your company at the time of the accident, it was done while you were within the scope of your employment. Your company should also be a defendant in the lawsuit and they should be handling your representation in the case for you. If the company is not named as a defendant yet in the lawsuit, you will need to protect yourself. You will need to send a demand letter to your employer in writing notifying them that you have been sued for conduct/actions that occurred while you were employed by the company. You will need to make demand upon the company to step in and defend you in the litigation and to notify their insurance carrier immediately.

Hope that helps.

Please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating so I get credit for my work.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney