My mother is 88 yrs old with Alzheimers. She is in a

Customer Question
My mother is 88...

My mother is 88 yrs old with Alzheimers. She is in a Personnel Care Home. Her only income is her SS. When she got sick she had an outstanding bill with Discover that she now can not pay. They are now coming after her. They have summoned her to court, in Ohio, she doesn't live in Ohio. She lives in PA. They are telling us that they can attach her checking account. All that she has in there is her SS and it all goes monthly to the home in which she lives. Can they do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean? Have we filed or reported anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have turned it over to their attorneys and entered a judgment against my mom

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. You need not worry about this even if they get a judgment. Your mother's SS check is an exempt asset both before she gets it and after it goes into her banking account. Therefore, it can't be touched. They are simply threatening you with this to scare you into paying the bill. But, based on what you've stated, your mother is completely judgment proof so even if they get a judgment, it will simply be uncollectible.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!