I am being harassed from a magazine sales company based in…

Customer Question
I am being harassed...

I am being harassed from a magazine sales company based in Los Angeles. This has been going on for at least two years. They started sending me magazines that we did not order. SEVERAL times we talked to different people telling them we did not order their services. They continued to send the books regardless of ANY communications with them. Now they are threatening us with legal action, or at the very least, submitting our name to Experian. They are demanding a payment of $1000.00 at last count. I say last count because in spite of all the arguing they are still sending the books. They have a collection group harassing us and a business that keeps calling us at least once a week or more wanting to know if we want their service

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Los Angeles, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Commercial Collection Group out of Los Angeles has sent us a collection notice saying if we don't pay within 30 days of the notice, which was dated 12/9/2017 they would file with a negative credit report

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wrote this collection company a letter of dispute as they requested. I kept a copy in my wordpad. I had to send a second letter after more harrasement. They have the other company (I am trying to find their name. All I have is the phone number at present) that will not stop calling. When this started months ago we talked to representatives of the Publishers Union Warehouse, Inc (this is a bogus name that does not even show in the BBB in the LA area) A so-called manager talked with me and assured us the account was in error and would be cancelled immediately and that was several months ago. No sooner did we get off the phone (actually a couple days later) more magazines came and kept coming. One more came in last week. No matter who we talk with or what we say they will not leave us alone. They say we made a contract for purchase of the books but they will not show me any proof of that contract. I guess that's it in a nutshell

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising them that you will take legal action if they do not stop.. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

You could also alert the California consumer protection bureau on this matter as well. The Attorney General is usually in charge of helping to protect consumers against situations just like these. They may be able to bring suit on your behalf against this individual.

As far as a lawsuit against you, if they do sue, you could defend on the grounds that you never accepted the terms of the agreement so their lawsuit should be thrown out.

I'm very sorry about your situation.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

One more thing, you could also bring suit for a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The FCRA requires that the reporting of your credit must be accurate and fair and you may be entitled to damages that result. How else can I help you today?

Hi, just wanted to check, are you available?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer