18 years ago my son lived in Gloucester County and his old…

Customer Question
18 years ago my...

18 years ago my son lived in Gloucester County and his old girlfriend put a restraining order on him. He has lived in Los Angeles for 18 years and would like to know how to remove this restraining order since he has had no contact with this girl since 2004. When he goes out of the country and reenters security gives him a hard time. So what is the procedure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No that I am aware of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He restraining notice never should have been. They were living together and she freaked when he was transferred to la. It was her way of hoping he would not go or at least take her with him. He told her that he would send for her once he was settled, but once she did that it was out of the question and he left and has had no contact with her in 18 years. He is married and has two children.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

.

The odds of that restraining order still being in effect are as close to zero as they could possibly be. There would have been no reason for the court to continually reinstate the restraining order when there was no basis for it (no contact, no reasonable fear of harm, etc.). The only way to know for sure whether the restraining order exists would be to contact that court - but the odds of that are close to zero. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

It seems that when he recently came back from Mexico, somehow the immigration dept. flagged him and retained him for about an hour and told him it was due to the restraining order, but he has been out of the country before and never had a problem and he is due to go again to Mexico in March so we want to see if he has to contact the courts or what the problem might be.

Yes, you'll definitely want to contact the court b/c it's very, VERY unlikely that a restraining order that was granted 18 years ago didn't expire on it's own. There might be something there, on his record, that is just plain wrong. It would have been good if the Mexican authorities had told him what exactly they found.