Cosigned on daughter's school loan that has gone into

Cosigned on daughter's school...

Cosigned on daughter's school loan that has gone into default, want to negotiate a lower amount and pay it off completely using my 401k...been served with a summons from Hancock county courthouse...want to get this resolved immediately.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Have only googled info to find out what I can do....want to negotiate a lower amount and pay it off using my 401k

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Amount is supposed to be a little over $50,000.00, but I have not recieved any statement showing what payments have been made by her. A Cleveland lawyer's office sent me a letter via regular mail stating this amount must be paid and I was to contact them within 30 days. I sent them a letter back thanking them for contacting me and asking them for a copy of the original loan papers, statement showing all payments, all interest acrued, all late fees, and balance due and asked them to send it back to me in writing within 30 days. I never heard from them. Then almost 60 days later I recieved a summons (via certified mail) from our local county courthouse with a copy of the origianl loan papers but nothing about any payments made, late fees charged, or interest acrued. This loan originated in 2006. I wanted information from the Cleveland lawyer office and instead got a summons. .

1/9/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good morning. Yes, as a defendant , you have a right to discovery. You can make a demand and request for production and ask that this information - documentation be turned over. You have a right to contest this and the burden is on the plaintiff to show the money is owed and they have a right to collect. In addition you can certainly try and settle this. You can make an offer to their attorney to pay a lump sum to resolve this and have them dismiss the case. You could start with 25% of what is owed or a percentage that you feel comfortable with and see if they will accept it or if they will make a counter offer.
you are saying it would be safe to contact the lawyer who initiated the summons and offer to pay a lump sum of at least 25% of the balance they are saying is due? This would not mess up anything? What if they become nasty with me on the phone?
from what I've googled, it may not be a good idea to talk to them.
You can certainly contact the attorney and try and settle. Make them and offer and see if they accept it or make a counter and you can then decide how to proceed. The amount you offer needs to be what you think is fair and reasonable and what you can afford to pay. Just keep in mind that unless this is settled that the lawsuit will proceed so you will be expected to respond and appear as required and ordered. If you do not want to speak with them and try and settle this over the phone you can ask the judge to send this to mediation when you appear in court and try and work this out face to face.
Ok, how should I present this when I call them....What exactly should I say to them when I call? Never had to deal with anything like this....Also, I just checked my credit report in September and disputed this defaulted loan because I never received a certified letter from anyone, never recieved a statement, etc. My credit report simply says last reported in 2013...defaulted loan. Why did they finally contact me after I disputed it? I was not aware of it going into default.
You can simply share with them that you would like to try and resolve this and see if they would agree to a lump sum payment. You can advise that you are able to pay X and see how they respond. They will need to convey the offer to their client and see if they want to accept. You can share with them any issues or hardships to convince them that this is all you can afford and see if they will take it.
Ok, I will give it a try...thank you for your time....hoping your advice will resolve this issue quickly and completely.
My pleasure and you are welcome. If you have not already I just kindly ask that you rate my help at the top at this time so the site will provide me with the proper credit. Thank you again!
LegalKnowledge, Attorney