Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

New Jersey. Not yet Need some advise on workplace related…

Customer Question
New Jersey Lawyer's Assistant:...

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet Need some advise on workplace related issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need some advise on workplace harassment

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your employment law question today. I'm attorney bill assisting you today. Discrimination based upon race, gender, religion, age , disability or ethnicity is illegal, including harassment based on any of these.

Other forms of harassment in the workplace may also be actionable.

Have you taken this up with your supervisor or made a complaint ?

What are the specifics of the harassment and do you work for a private or State employer ?

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Bill,
I am on H1B Visa working for Private Organization . I was made to work for 17 hours a day for 7 days at a stretch , which affected my health . Moreover there were few instances of verbal abuse before. I raised the issue with my supervisor and wanted change in my current assignment , who commented that "I looked healthy" and working for long hours is common in IT . I felt more weak and dizzy after hearing this. I went to doctor who asked me to know to ER hearing about condition . I then consulted PCP and took around 7 days leave. I have also prescribed antidepressant by doctor .
During that time I wrote few mails to supervisor asking for release . However release was not granted . Later on he said I have to join back ,if I want to take few days off I need to share medical records with him . I did not do so . I tried to take help from my Upline Management,however they said I do not have any written proof of harassment so I cannot take it to HR.
Now they have accepted to release me at Feb 5 2018 and I will be leaving current job.
Tina, Lawyer