Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a question about the legality of a manager cancelling…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about the legality of a manager cancelling shifts last minute.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My question is do employees still get paid for that shift even if it gets canceled?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If the employee actually shows up to work and is sent home, CA law entitles them to compensation for half the number of hours they were scheduled to work but in no case less than two hours. For example, if the employee was schedule to work 6 hours and is sent home after 30 minutes of work, they would be entitled to a total of 3 hours compensation for that day.

Unfortunately, if the employee doesn't actually show up to work, they are not entitled to any compensation if their employer cancel's their shift, even if the employer cancels the shift with very little notice. This is a horrible business practice and no employer who doesn't this can expect to keep up employee morale or loyalty, but it is not an illegal business practice.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer