SC. My incident happened on Dec. 21 & 22, 2017. The worst…

Customer Question
My name is*****: What...

My name is*****: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My incident happened on Dec. 21 & 22, 2017. The worst one was on Dec 22, 2017. The pastor stood over me with a pair of scissors in his hand as if he was going to stab me with them. I froze. I have been having nightmares about the incident ever since. I am afraid of him.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/9/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I want to know if I have a case worthy of a civil suite against the pastor, church, district, and conference of the umc?
How is the best way to handle this situation? I have already started seeing a psychologist.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have reason to believe you have a cause of action for assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Assault is where someone puts you in a reasonable apprehension of an imminent or offensive touching.

Battery is an offensive touching.

IIED occurs when someone intentionally causes you emotional distress and there's evidence you've suffered emotional distress.

Accordingly, you can bring all three of these actions to court.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they compensate you for the psychologist's visits, lost wages, or other things that you've lost financially as a result of their actions. You can send this to everyone that was involved. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?