What is the statute for falsification of a time card?

Customer Question
What is the statute...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Crosby, Harris Cty, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

This is not really a situation with a statute of limitations. If you're an employee and your employer notices that a time card has been falsified they can choose to terminate someone on that basis.

My employer asked me to sign someone else in on a job when they weren't on the job. the sign in is into a payroll app that is also used for customer billing. I was just wondering what statute # that would fall under.

I see - so there is no statute for when someone can terminate someone else for this type of conduct - and the general 'fraud' statute which someone could sue some under is frankly unlikely to be applied here b/c the odds of someone suing you for that are about as small as they possibly can be (because they'd have to prove damages and those damages would likely be wages very few companies would spend thousands on litigation only to recoup a couple of hundred dollars).

I am just looking for the statute that would pertain to the employer billing the customer based on that falsified time card.

That would be fraud - it's 4 years. Here is the statute. http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/civil-practice-and-remedies-code/civ-prac-rem-sect-16-004.html

Please let me know if that answers your questions.