I bought a car for my kid (20 years old). Part of the money…

Customer Question
I bought a car for...
I bought a car for my kid (20 years old). Part of the money I used to purchase was from an insurance settlement for her previously totalled car and the rest I paid out of my pocket. I put the title in both of our names. Can I legally take the car from her if she is not abiding by house rules?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, since you are both on the title, you are both legally equal owners of the vehicle. That means that either of you can have possession of the car and the other one can't force them to surrender possession. So if you took the car and stored it somewhere, that would be completely legal.

.

.

thanks

Thank you! So I can't just take her keys from her?

You are very welcome.

.

You could take the keys if she sets them down somewhere if they go to the car because you would have half ownership of the keys as well as the car they go to.

.

So yes, you could take possession of them as long as you could do so peacefully without a breach of the peace.. (i.e. you can't hold her down and take them from her hand)

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney