I had a slip and fall in front of my residence I spoke with…

Customer Question
I had a slip...

I had a slip and fall in front of my residence I spoke with 311 they told me that it was not their problem it was a the owner's responsibility to get the ice cleared up it's now from the boulevard up to the front steps of my house this is the second time I fell on the ice this time I injured myself my children have already fell on the ice and I've seen city workers coming out at 3:40 in the morning with salt and sand since I made the report with them and it's seeming like it's not homeowners problem anymore that it was more of a city's issue because of the hours at these trucks were coming out just in front of my residence and they're still I've took it a lot of pictures and there's still tons of ice out in front of my house and I've now been injured and I need to know how do I move forward with the lawsuit dude for my injuries because I need to go be seen by a doctor and I'm not going to be able to pay the hospital bills

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Minneapolis Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just reported with 311 which is like the city and like I said they told me it was the homeowner's responsibility but yet again I've seen City trucks out in front of my Residence at 234 in the morning which I've took it pictures of on and only directly in front of my residence and nowhere else have they attempted to salt or do anything on the rest of the ice that's in front of at least three other people's houses on the same side of are blocked but other than that I have not reported anything else

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just took a lot of a lot of pictures and I'm in a lot of pain in the left side of my back and my shoulders and my leg is going numb Thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, the MN law says that municipalities are immune from being sued for snow and ice on sidewalks or roadways. Minnesota courts have held that municipalities are immune from claims arising from failure to remove or sand ice. See Hennes v. Patterson, 443 N.W.2d 198 (Minn. Ct. App. 1989) (development of plowing policy is discretionary); Wesala v. City of Virginia, 390 N.W.2d 285 (Minn. Ct. App. 1986) (decision to sand streets is discretionary).

Thus, I am sorry to say you cannot sue the city in MN for snow or ice issues on the sidewalk or the streets because the government passed a law saying they were immune from such suits.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.