I am being evicted by my cousins from my aunts house.... I…

Customer Question
I am being evicted...

I am being evicted by my cousins from my aunts house.... I have lived here with my family for four years.... in exchange for rent I was my aunt's full time care giver.... my cousin and I had a falling out... 2 months later my aunt slipped and broke her nose .... they fired me that day .... and now evicting me and suing me for $54,000 in back rent.... Will I be responsible for the money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yes... New York.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have our first court date tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes.... since this happened they locked me out of the garage...where in have my belongings....and 3× since l have taken care of my aunt.... most recent was Wednesday 1/3/18 over night until 9am Friday morning 1/5/18

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If part of your agreement was that you would care for your aunt in exchange for a place to stay, you will not be responsible for any back rent at all.

If they want money even though you already provided your end of the bargain, then this appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract and it may get them to back off these claims that you owe this kind of money because a court would not find in their favor.

It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?