I am divorced and I have a question related to the share of…

Customer Question
I am divorced and...

I am divorced and I have a question related to the share of a property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The divorce is already finished

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to ask directly to the lawyer

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

What questions can I help you with,thanks.

We had an agreement about the share of the house, this is how it is in our divorce:
Cristiele and Stephen will both remain on the title but the loan will remain on Stephens name only until such a time that Cristiele can be approved for a refinance, if said refinance has not occurred by March 31, 2018 we both agree to sell the house together. Until that time Cristiele will be responsible for all costs related to this mortgage. Also, Stephen will be entitle to his share of the equity to be paid at the time of refinance or sale. This share shall be $6.000 based on recent appraisal value.Since then the house has increased in value, and because of that he is claiming 50% of the share. He left the house before thw divorce was over and I have been making the payments on my own. My question is, is it a 50/50 share or is 6.000 a static number?

To me the language says it is a static number and you go by the agreement here in writing.You have good cause to hold him to the agreement here and not go up.It might be bad for him now but he signed it back up the road.If the property had gone down in value he would still want the $6k.

I would stand on the agreement.It is a valid contract and enforceable.

Good luck to you and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Thank you

You are so welcome, stars at top.Have a great day.