I'm afraid someone filed a harassment order on me because I…

Customer Question
I'm afraid someone filed...

I'm afraid someone filed a harassment order on me because I got a call from the police but they didn't leave details on the messages. I called back & they never called back. What would happen if I contacted the person who possibly filed this but I haven't been told about it or served?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

I live in MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

And this happened today. I got a call from the police but he didn't call me back or tell me if one has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you. Please let me know after you review

Thank you for your patience. The answer to your question is that if you were never served with the restraining order, then there is no prohibition against you contacting this person. The restraining order is effective when the order is entered; however, until you are served, the process is not complete and therefore you would not get into any trouble if you contacted the petitioner in advance of being served.

How else can I help you today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Can a harassment order be pulled after it's been filed?

Yes. That happens regularly. The party that requested the order can go back to court and file new paperwork to request that the order be pulled. They may have to be persuasive that things are fine, but typically the court is going to grant it with no problems.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

Can it be pulled before the initial court date?

Yes, absolutely. The court may not grant because it may want a hearing to make sure the petitioner is safe, but they have the authority to do so.