Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

It is about powers of attorney and what happens when the…

Customer Question
Second opinion] it is...

Second opinion] it is about powers of attorney and what happens when the party gave it dies

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

I am in massachusetts and living with son who is terminal...he gave his poower of attorney to my niece...when my son passes who gets to plan the funeral which will be in new york?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh my niece's power of attorney is legal in mass....and dont know about ny

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am the professional who will be assisting you today.

I am sorry to hear of the health problems your son is facing.

The death of the principal automatically terminates any POA's given by the decedent. If they did not so terminate, there would be no need for probate.

The next of kin has the right to plan the funeral (called the "right of sepulcher"). That would be you, if there were no spouse or surviving adult children.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney