It is about powers of attorney and what happens when the…

It is about powers...

It is about powers of attorney and what happens when the party gave it dies

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

I am in massachusetts and living with son who is terminal...he gave his poower of attorney to my niece...when my son passes who gets to plan the funeral which will be in new york?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh my niece's power of attorney is legal in mass....and dont know about ny

1/8/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. So, the answer to your question is that the executor is the person who can plan the funeral. The reason is because the power of attorney ends the ward dies. In this case, when your son dies, then the nice's power of attorney will end. The executor of his estate (either appointed by will or by the court) will be the one responsible for making the payments on his final debts and distributing his assets. I'm very sorry about your son's situation. How else can i help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer