In July I was arrested for having a warrant from 5 years…

Customer Question
In July I was...

In July I was arrested for having a warrant from 5 years prior- I did not complete community service. I was unaware of this warrant the whole time. I bailed out went to court and was given more hours, I have been in contact With the community service coordinator almost daily- j was placed on a waiting list to do my hours at the humane society. She said this was fine and that most places have a waiting list, going on a few months of being on the list I asked her if I should seek another agency. That's when she informed me that when she opened my file she found it was returned to court and the judge issued a warrant.... I feel like this is not my fault I did my Part and was in full communication with her. I have now started my hours st the humane society I have 10 out of the 56 completed... I would like to get this warrant cleared so that I can actually drive myself to my community service and work etc... is there a way I can present to the judge the emails of me communicating with the coordinator etc and show proof I have started my community service and have the warrant cleared?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Washington November

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just found out about this though

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What do you mean?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Okay thank you
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

You'll need to file a Motion to Quash the Bench Warrant to get this cleared up.

You can go into the Clerk's Office and get your motion submitted and a court date set.

Yes, you should be sure to include the email correspondence, as well as certification of the hours completed so far, as exhibits attached to your motion.

Ideally it would be best to have an attorney assist with this. However you can contact your local Clerk's Office and inquire whether there is a sample form for the motion that you can work off of.

See also:

https://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/?fa=court_rules.display&group=municipal&set=munbla&ruleid=municipalmunbla2.01

https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/washington-state-bench-warrant-faq

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

that's something too is i have photos of work I've done at the humane society but they don't actually give any written form of completion until you're finished.... I've tried to get something in writing. The biggest thing is I'm just nervous to go into the court house and be put in jail
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

You definitely will want to get something in writing to attach with your motion so you'll be able to prove to the court that you actually have some hours done.

A copy of a sign-in log or something of that nature would be sufficient as well.

I understand your concern, and as I mentioned before the assitance of an attorney would be advisible.

Have you considered looking into hiring a pro bono attorney that can assist you for free?

You can contact the Washington State Bar and ask for a referral to a pro bono criminal defense attorney in your area.

The phone number is:

206-443-WSBA (9722)

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones