I have a trial coming up civil case district of columbia. I…

Customer Question
I have a trial...

I have a trial coming up civil case district of columbia. I am not sure how the exhibits are to be given to the other side. What I am talking about is pre-trial exhibits. I can't figure out how they are suppose to be bound together. I was simply going to have an exhibit list page then for instance Exhibit 1, Dr. X's medical records and so on. Is this going to be ok?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

District of Columbia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

See above

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience.

As you know, when you exchange evidence pre-trial, it means you have to show the other side the evidence that will be used at trial. Sometimes, the court may have a specific exhibit list that you need to send to the other party, so check with your court clerk to find out if there is one that you will need to use.

There is no specific format for how they must be bound together. Oftentimes, the parties will just mark an exhibit with a cover page and call it "Exhibit A" for example, and then also have an index that explains what Exhibit A is. In my experience, this has never been an issue to do it this way, so the way that you plan on doing it, should be acceptable. Just make sure that the court doesn't have some rule regarding this. 90% of the time, they do not. Do you have any other questions for me at all?