My sister in law will be 62 in a couple of weeks. She has…

Customer Question
My sister in law...

My sister in law will be 62 in a couple of weeks. She has been on disability for a fall she had about 10 years ago when she hurt her back. Her only income is the disability which is about $1100 a month. She has a trailer out in west Texas she is trying to sell worth about $30,000. The doctors have told her she needs another back surgery because she has started to loose feeling in one of her calves and it is critical. My question is what options does she have open to her. Can she get on medicaid? Are there other income sources that are available to her? She only has basic Medicare insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

Texas. The home is at least 30 or 40 years old. I'm not sure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
She can own her house and obtain Medicaid. The key to whether owning a house will affect Medicaid or SSI eligibility is whether she lives in the house.Both Medicaid medical coverage and Supplemental Security Insurance -- SSI eligibility depend on having very low income and assets. But if she lives in a house she owns, the house will NOT count as an asset when Medicaid and SSI decide on her eligibility. So, owning the house will not affect either eligibility for Medicaid or SSI, or the amount of your benefits, as long as you live in it.Also, neither Medicare nor SSI ever have a claim on her house or any other property, whether she lives in it or not. Medicaid is different, but still protects her as long as shes alive. Medicaid might place a lien on the property to recover the cost of long-term care she might receive in a nursing home, if she ever enters one and Medicaid pays for it. But this only applies to long-term care, not to regular Medicaid medical coverage. And Medicaid cannot force the sale of the house. It merely places a claim -- in the form of a lien -- against the house to collect from its value after she dies for the amounts it has spent on a nursing home care.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.