I read the answers to the person asking about out of state…

I read the answers...

I read the answers to the person asking about out of state sex offenders traveling to Puerto Rico, but I was hoping for more clarification. The attorney states that out of state sex offenders only have to register if staying in Puerto Rico for 10 or more days. Is this correct? Is this 10 calendar days or 10 business days?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I'm a registered sex offender in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with permission to travel.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Puerto Rican lawyer about this yet?

I did, but can't get a proper answer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Every state, county, and city in the mainland US has their own laws and that's confusing enough. Moreover, trying to see how Puerto Rico deals with this has been futile at this point.

Would I have to register every time I traveled to Puerto Rico for 10 or more days in the same calendar year?
Or would I not need to since I'd already be in the database and staying at the same address?
Please advise.
1/8/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

PR 4 section 536(c) requires registration within 10 calendar days, even for temporary stays; here is that provision:

The person registered as provided in §§ 536-536h of this title, shall notify the Police Headquarters of the jurisdiction in which he/she resides of any change in his/her temporary or permanent address at least ten (10) days before moving or in the case of a person from another country who has been convicted for a sexual crime or child abuse by a federal, military or state court of his/her country who establishes his/her residence in Puerto Rico or that because of work or study is located in Puerto Rico, although his/her intention is not that of establishing residence, and has the obligation to register, shall complete the registration within ten (10) days of his/her arrival to Puerto Rico.

This is located on the top of page 45 here:

http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/Sex%20Offender%20Registry_US%20Territories%20and%20Federal_2013.pdf

Still a bit confused.
I have to register if staying for 10 calendar days or more?
If I make more than one trip in a calendar year would I still have to register every time if it's more than 10 calendar days?

Yes, that is correct; every trip that is 10 days or longer requires registration. Each new travel period would indicate a new time period.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Thank you very much!
I will now rate so you get the credit.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating- I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Take care.

I have a follow up question regarding out of state sex offender registration in Puerto Rico. Most states allow for time served and most states have a certain period of mandatory registration. I'm entering my tenth year of registering in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. What is the statute of limitations on registering in Puerto Rico?

It depends on the underlying crime; for the following crimes it is 10 years:

(a) Persons convicted for any of the following crimes or attempts thereto: ***** ***** sodomy, lascivious or lewd acts; proxenetism, ruffianism or trade in human beings when the victim is a minor of less than eighteen (18) years of age and the offense is aggravated; crimes against the protection of minors, incest, deprivation of freedom when the victim is National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse National District Attorneys Association 43 less than sixteen (16) years of age and is not the child of the offender, kidnapping when the victim is a minor of less than eighteen (18) years of age and not the child of the offender, child stealing, perversion of minors when admitting or retaining a minor of less than eighteen (18) years of age in a house of prostitution, or sodomy; aggravated abuse of a minor and conjugal sexual aggression, included in Articles 99, 101, 103, 105, 110(a) and (c), and in 111, 115, 122, 131(e), 137-A(a), 160 and 163(e) of Act No. 115 of July 22, 1974, as amended, and in §§ 632(g) and 635 of Title 8, and the crime of child abuse established in §§ 450c and 450d of Title 8, respectively.

If a person is characterized as a dangerous sexual offender under 536(d) they would require lifetime registration.

My offense involved using interstate commerce to entice someone under the age of 18. The "individual" was an undercover cop. So am I correct in assuming my offense falls in the 10 year category?
After rereading your response, I've answered my own question... thanks!

Most welcome. Thank you.