Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My girlfriend of 3 months who we talked for about an hour…

Customer Question
Hi - my girlfriend...

Hi - my girlfriend of 3 months who we talked for about an hour per day on the phone, went out once a week , lived 1 1/2 hours away from each other she finally ended our relationship on gmail. This was right before we were going to a concert on New Years Eve out of MPLS so a hotel stay over . He email was horribly libel / defamatory, cursing and F -words - not good ones and about 4 paragraphs long. All were opinions none of anything that I EVER stated and I think she was drunk when she wrote it. But the severe damage was done. Libel ? My daughter has access to everything on my computer whenever she comes here to use it , she is 36, married 2 wonderful grandson;s 2 and 5 and a HR Professional , the love of my life, as I used to be HR Regional as I am 62 and semi retired doing HR consulting, My ex g friend owes me several items and money , she has not sent me and not replying so if I do not receive them in one week we go to small claims court and my relationship with my daughter is damaged and I want the ex g friend to compensate me. To be responsible for my life damage with my daughter which will take a long time and time to repair and Karen - ex needs to learn about Karma as I do. So your help? What would be reasonable for a small claims judge to understand and I have a pre law background to enforce my feelings . Thank you and sorry for the length of this but as you can read it is very important to the future of my family. Dan MacDonald MPLS

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pearl - Minneapolis MN .This is a wonderful service and I will definitely promote it and see how I can further utilize it for your business.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No - Pearl - I have given Karen info of my intentions to be fair in case she wants to settle pre hearing. I also let her know what happens if she avoids the hearing. She does have money although she is a Hair Stylist so use your imagination - I'm not saying more. She has until Wednesday Jan 10, 2018 to offer settlement on all past dues and the libel damage that we decide on. Otherwise I file the case. The problem is that she has chosen to avoid my 4 e mails to her asking for a response to our few relationship items to be sent to me in the last 2 weeks so avoidance as we know in business comes with a $ .

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thank you. She has investment money, she has been abused by many men in past relationships but not AT ALL by me. As proof I would be glad to copy and paste her libel email to me that my daughter is not forgiving me for this woman is hurting me for the abuse of other men on her. KAREN NEEDS TO KNOW WHAT KARMA IS WHICH i HAVE PRACTICED COMPLETELY WITH HER. I want to teach her a Financial lesson as that is all I can do to help other me and we are both 62. Thank you soooo very much. I have enjoyed this as I enjoy legal problems

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If she sent the email to you, not to any third party, then it would not be libel, regardless of who has access to your email to read it. For it to be Libel, it has to be sent to third parties intentionally. If she sent it only to you there is no libel.

If you can prove you loaned her money and items and she is not returning them, you can sue her for the return of the property or money due. I understand that you believe this damaged your relationship with your adult daughter, but your ex did not send the email to your daughter, she sent it to you and it is not her fault you allow your daughter to read your emails and that would not meet the requirements under the slander and libel laws I am sorry to say, so your claims would be restricted to suing for the money and property loaned her.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your input. So are you saying that anyone can send someone an email about anything about themselves with no legal recourse besides termination in a work environment as I have legally and properly terminated staff? That is sick.

Thank you for your reply.

That is what the 1st Amendment says, she has a right to her free speech to you and her opinion if she is talking about you to you. She does not have the right to make known false statements about you to 3rd parties.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney