Tina...I have a situation with my brother acting as

Customer Question
Hello Tina...I have a...

Hello Tina...I have a situation with my brother acting as caregiver for my mom but in my opinion, he is not doing the right thing in her best interest and I would like to know if there is anything I can do to make things better for her. She is 96 and what I feel is making incompetent decisions and my brother is just as incompetent by giving in to her whims.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet...I have been corresponding with the assisted living facitlity which she was supposed to move into last week and my brother cancelled it because he wants her house

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know who or what to report to

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 3 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is he acting as caregiver through a power of attorney or guardianship? And is she mentally able to understand the nature of her actions?

I believe he has POA but not sure, he won't answer my questions or respond and I have asked mom but she has no clue what she signed when he took her to attorney to do paper work

But is she competent, as far as you know?

Not in my opinion because of her answers and actions but I'm not an expert in evaluating responses. My brother is just as incompetent acting as her caregiver

I understand. Has she seen a doctor about her mental capacity (to the best of your knowledge)?

Are you there?

I am here, I would like an attorney in Naples Florida, someone I can sit down & talk with
Are you in Naples? If not, can you refer a name and phone #?

I am not in Naples. That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with elder law cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Thank you

You're welcome, and good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney