I have a question regarding my spouse and a secret bank

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding my spouse and a secret bank account

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I have kept it a secret that I know, I am afraid the money will be removed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t know honk so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

What questions do you have about the account, are you considering a divorce here?

I am not sure to be honest.
I will stick with email for now
Are you there?

I would do two thing here, I would order my credit report and see what else you don't know about.The account generated a W-2 here from the bank.So order last years return and see if its not attached, again see what else you are missing.

Order credit report here its free

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Order return here, you want the full return with attachments

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/request-a-transcript-or-copy-of-a-prior-year-tax-return

Do some more sleuthing here.See what you find that will tell you whether you need a divorce here or its some account with $20 in it.My experience has been its usually worse and there are other things you need to ask him about too at same time.

Make sure your accounts in your name only are secure here, you may need to transfer half of your joint funds if you find there are funds or other assets that have been hidden.Start with these items and stay mum until you know how bad it is.

I appreciate the chance to help and good luck here.

Thanks for rating 5 stars.

Lawyer referral for you here

Contact the State Bar for Help

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.