I had co sign for someone and the turn around and sold it…

Customer Question
I had co sign...

I had co sign for someone and the turn around and sold it before it was paid off

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

It was bought in Alaska and sold in Washington Vancouver area

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It still reg has alaska plate and has been changed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just found out today that it was sold the bank has looking for it to repo it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/8/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I don't know how the seller transferred a clean title if there was still money owed on the vehicle. There should have been a lien on the title. But that us a separate question.

When you co-sign on a vehicle you are accepting responsibility for the loan. The lender can sue you or the person you co-signed for. Since the co-signer usually has better credit they often sue the cosigner.

If you are sued you can file a cross action against the person you co-signed for to recover any money you pay.

IF the lender finds the car they can repossess it because they still have a valid lien. They will then sell it. The person who sold the car can be sued by the buyer if this happens. You can not be sued by the buyer.

I am sorry that some of this is bad news for you, but I would not want to mislead you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald