Spouse and self signed a contract to buy a motorhome putting…

Customer Question
Second opinion] spouse and...

Second opinion] spouse and self signed a contract to buy a motorhome putting a $500.oo hold but after signing in many places late Friday afternoon we came home and started reviewing the paperwork and our budget and to work in a large monthly amount and decided we would be too much to keep up with. We are in our late 70's an early 80's. We called the saleman early Saturday morning to ask how we could renig and he said there was NO way as on the signed paper work it indicated "no cooling off period no matter if we had a "change of mind" We have not taken possession and have not paid the down payment other than the $500 which would be due on date the call us to take possession. Is there any way we can just get out of it even if we lose the $500

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

Florida and motorhome is a new 2017 model

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that we know of since we were last ones in sales office leaving at 5PMFriday afternoon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We had been approved by the dealership for credit and they also indicated the could not put this through our family trust

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is there any way we can just get out of it even if we lose the $500

.

Legally you are stuck in the contract because there isn't any cooling off period unless specifically stated in the contract.

.

With that said, since you are in FL, they can't come after you and garnish your wages or SS if they sued. Your home is completely exempt under FL law if you have a house as well. So they are kind of stuck here because while they can enforce the contract, it would cost them at least several thousand to hire an attorney to try and sue you for breach of contract.

.

Typically, a dealership won't want to throw good money after bad in the hopes that they will be able to collect on a judgment from you. With that said, if I were a betting man, I would bet that they just keep your $500, threaten you a bit, and then let it go..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney