My ex-wife filed an Adverse Possession Form (ST1) on a piece…

Customer Question
My ex-wife filed an...

My ex-wife filed an Adverse Possession Form (ST1) on a piece of land (attached to the family home) that was allocated to me during our divorce in Dec 2006. She got the house. The land is held by an Isle of Man Trust of which I am the sole beneficiary (bad tax advice in 2003 when iI bought the land, it's of no benefit to me, but harder to undo that leave as is). In the ST1 she failed to mention the divorce, my name, that we have a licence agreement (2007) or that i have 100 emails between her and me over it in the last 5 years. The claim slipped through the other safety net because on the ST1 she cited the wrong company number (a company of an almost identical name, coincidentally, again Isle of Man (but shut down in 1996, before the land was even bought!)) and my Trustees sent it back to Land Registry on those grounds (if only they'd read a bit further, but i can't technically fault them on that). i should mention here that my Trustees had failed to update the Land Registry when they shut down their subsidiary that my land was named under. As i understand it, they were under a Duty of Care to do so (and now studiously avoid being drawn on the matter, to the point of simply not answering my direct questions on that subject). Meanwhile, after much complaining, and wasted time, the Trustees have acted to retrieve the land by filing a case against her, via Land Registry (and although they are paying at the moment, inc using a barrister, they won't discuss with me who / what's going to happen about the fees, which will probably be in the ten of thousands - i think they're assuming they'll win and be awarded costs against my ex-wife, so they're buying time with me). I presume it's coming up soon (but no one's telling me anything). I'm frustrated on both counts (Trustees and my ex-wife) and although the case seems to be on track and in theory clear cut, I feel completely helpless and worry that it could still slip away on a technicality, and then what ... A bit more info is that my ex-wife has been trying to sell the land (which is how i found out) and will never back down over anything. I have asked my Trustees several times for a face-to-face meeting but they do not answer the request, even when i get cross. Anything you can advise ...?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Yes the Trustees have filed the case against her, some months ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the land located?

Oxford.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, think that's enough for now. (I'm out now for an hour). Thanks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Are you asking if she has any basis to maintain an adverse possession claim?