I am a general contractor, i tried to pay my sub contractor…

Customer Question
I am a general...

I am a general contractor, i tried to pay my sub contractor and he did not accept my payment because he thought i owed him more. He is now treating my clients with his attorney? what options do i take

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No just letters sent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I've just never been in this situation before

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

When was the last time the sub performed any work on the property?

.

Do you have any type of written contract with the sub stating how much you are paying him for his work?

.

Is he threatening to sue or lien the customer's home?

.

.

thanks

HE IS ONE OF MY ROOFING SUBS AND THE LAST TIME HE DID WORK FOR ME WAS DEC 9TH. YES I HAVE A SIGNED COPY OF WHAT I PAY AND AS HIS INVOICES CAME IN THEY DID NOT MATCH WHAT WAS DELIVERED SO I CALLED HIM AND WROTE OUT WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR AND HE TOLD ME THAT IF MY CHECKS DID NOT MATCH HIS INVOICES HE WOULD TAKE FURTHER ACTION.
IVE USED HIM FOR YEARS AND WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS...

Ok, then under Idaho law, he would have up to 90 days from the last furnishing of materials or labor to file a mechanic's lien on the property. He would then have to file suit to foreclose on that lien within 6 months or it would expire.

.

So he can legally drag the homeowner into this dispute between the two of you if he files a lien. But if he is breaking your contract, you can sue him for breach of contract and the homeowner can sue him for "slander on title" if he is filing a false lien.

.

But at this point, if he hasn't filed a lien yet, then your recourse is to try to negotiate a resolution with him providing proof of his actual expenses/costs and you trying to settle up with him if he can prove it..

.

.

thanks

THANK YOU

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much