In Maryland if an attorney fails to pay a promissory not,

Customer Question
In Maryland if an...

In Maryland if an attorney fails to pay a promissory not, can the holder of the not file a complaint against the attorney for non payment ahd have the attorney disbarred?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

At this point the attorney i facing a peer review hearing, I belive Title does not give the compliant the use of Maryland law for the non payment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I want to know about Title 09 in Maryland and if that prohibits a person from filing a complaint against an attorney for non payment of a note

if I can understand your situation correctly, you're the holder of this note and the attorney has not paid. Is the attorney representing themselves or someone else?

I am the attorney and I have been paying the note to the person who has filed a complaint against me saying that I did not pay the note on time etc. I responded to him saying that title 9 said the complainant could not file claim against me for not paying the note. That is the story. Let me hear from you.

Hi, let me opt out of this discussion so someone with more experience with Title 9 exceptions may be able to help you.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Ray here a new expert.Anyone can file a complaint but it would be dismissed as you state.Only the failure to pay taxes or some other illegal activity would be grounds for sanction.This is just a debt, he can sue but thats it.The grievance would be dismissed here as you state.You could file Chapter 7 for that matter.Lots of lawyers have debts and bankruptcies, I have lawyer friend thats done it three times and he is still practicing.Title 09 in Maryland here cannot be used to enforce a regular debt.

It is not a problem here any grievance will be dismissed or a finding that no violation is present here.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

thank you For your analysis and thought. I feel you made a good summary of the facts in showing the attorney is restricted by title 9. To Me it seemed odd that the complainant could use the attorney greivance commitence to collect his money. I thought Title 9 was the answer. Thanks again. *****

Dick I don't think this is going anywhere its a civil debt thats it.I used to do grievance work a few years back.

Thanks for rating 5 stars and good luck to you.