I helped a friend make payments on her car. A title loan. I…

I helped a friend...

I helped a friend make payments on her car. A title loan. I paid over 2500. and paid it off. She was to pay me back after getting a job. She also moved into my home, and helped around the house. Her car had a lot of miles and problems. She had lost her drivers license for drug dealing ect..She said she was supposed to get her license back soon. I secured a loan to upgrade her car with a better one as long as she stayed and helped around the house. The loan, insurance, and the license are in my name. I put her name on the title under mine.It was a agreement that as long as she stayed and helped around the home I would make the payments until the car was paid off. then I would sign the title over to her. three months after buying the car she takes both sets of keys and the car and moves out while I was gone. I took her to court to get the car back. the court said that she had just as much right to the car as I did. They wouldn't award me the car or the keys. She doesn't have a drivers license she is not insured to drive the car. Only I am through my insurance. Can I legally take the car back at any time I want. she will not give my keys back. Can I repo it myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Illinois. 2009 chry - 300.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

1/7/2018
Roger, Attorney

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If both of your names are ***** ***** title as co-owners, then you both have the same right to the vehicle. Thus, you can't keep it away from her, nor can she keep it from you.

Thus, you should be free to recover the vehicle any time you want. The only obstacle is that if you go onto her property to get the vehicle, you could be charged with trespassing. So, the vehicle would need to be recovered in a public place.

You may want to consider filing suit to force the sale of the vehicle in order to get rid of the vehicle and the source of your troubles.

THANK YOU!

No problem and good luck with this!

Roger, Attorney