Consumer credit centers #78483 new York nybilled me for

Customer Question
consumer credit center*****s #78483 new...
consumer credit center*****s #78483 new York ny###-##-####billed me for 23000.00 but will settle for 12000.00
I don't know what this is for.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you saying they are billing you for a debt you cannot possibly owe? How did they make contact with you? Do you have a website for the company?

By mail. Notice number S13769 contact phone(###) ###-####

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to look into this company and type you a response.

You may get information from the site about a phone call. That's a premium optional service, requiring an additional fee. The site sends this out automatically. You are in no way obligated to incur an additional charge. If you want to proceed here by text, just ignore their communicatioon.

The New York Secretary of State has no such company registered in the state database called Consumer Credit Center. As they should be there for tax purposes, you would expect to find them registered as an active NYS business.

The phone number is ***** generic toll-free number and untraceable. The address is virtual rather than actual. Add this to the fact that you have no record of this debt, and they are likely scamming you. You can ignore this letter altogether if you want to.

There's a lot of fraud in the collections market. Unscrupulous people buy up old debts for pennies on the dollar and then try to get people to pay what they never did or no longer owe by making threats.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2014/09/ftc-abusive-debt-collectors-youre-outta-business

Basically, if you want to contact them, you can write back to them via certified or registered mail and demand that they send you written proof of what you owe. Then, if you don't believe you owe it, you can write again to them and formally dispute the debt. Once you do that, they are not allowed to bother you any further. If they do, you could then report every further attempt to harass you for this money to the Federal Trade Commission and they can be fined $1,000 for each incident!

If they try to tell you they don't have to provide you with formal proof, they are lying to you. If they are a legitimate collections firm they would have to be aware of your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act a Federal Act that offers you substantial protection against harassing and illegal debt collectors.

If these folks are out-and-out scammers, they may not be deterred by your invoking the name of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Federal Trade Commission, But they will also know that you know your rights and that you're not about to pay up if they can't prove you owe this debt, and you can just block them.

The FTC gives a wonderful overview of the overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more.

www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

If you're certain you can't owe this debt, you're almost certainly right. You can report the agency for fraud to the US Postal Inspection Service at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ and to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.