What is the statute of limitation on medical bills. I just…

What is the statute...

What is the statute of limitation on medical bills. I just received one from 51/2 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No When I contacted them they said the file had been lost

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

All I can find on line is it is 4 years for non contract bills they say it is 7 years for medical

1/7/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you online with me?

In New Mexico, written contracts have a statute of limitations of 6 years. All other creditor-debtor transactions have a 4 year limitations period after accrual of the right to sue. That means, the creditor has that long a period of time to file a lawsuit from the time of the alleged breach of the contract.

So, if the medical bills are not based upon written agreements signed by you they are likely time-barred and you can tell them you will not be paying after so much time has passed.

If there is a written agreement then the statute of limitations will expire in the next 6 months or so.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
I cant find a lace to rate you I have no problem giving you 5 stars

Thank you for using JA. Best of luck to you.