Confusion if I own my house. 2004 I bought my house. 2006…

Customer Question
Confusion if I own my...
Confusion if I own my house. 2004 I bought my house. 2006 Bank of America assumed my home loan along with its 2nd mortgage from Countrywide. In 2012 I filed bankruptcy not realizing my lawyer included it in the bankruptcy. Not knowing, months later I called Bank of America and modified my home loan, they complied, i hAve cont.to live in my home paying $850 a month to bank of america. (Yrs after the bankruptcy) in 2016 I tried to refi my home with another lender who told me my house has been "discharged" & to call my bank. In 2015 I got a letter in the mail from "Ditech Financial" saying they paid off my 2nd mortgage of $20100. I had never heard of them before. 2 days ago I got a letter from SSL Financial (iv never heard of them either?) who are demandi I pay my mortgage and the 2nd. Do I have to pay if one was paid off by ditech and mortgage was discharged? Can SSL Fin. Evict me?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will try to assist you today. Yes, there is confusion as to who is your mortgage lender and what is going on. When you filed for bankruptcy, you are required to include your home as an asset. The house does not get liquidated in bankruptcy. You get discharged from the bankruptcy and you keep you house and the mortgages on it.

DiTech is a reputable lender. They have acquired millions of loans around the country. It is not uncommon for lenders such Bank of America to sell off residential loans. When Ditech said they paid off the loan that means they bought it from Bank of America.

To get to the bottom of who owns your mortgages, I recommend a title search from the public records in your county (a title company can do it for you), it will show the chain of the title and the transfers of your mortgage. Secondly, I would call SSL Financial and request a payoff statement on both loans to see where you stand with them on your payments. Bank of America should have been forwarding your payments to the correct lender. If you are late in payments with SSL Financial, they can seek to foreclose so the sooner you get the information the better.

Hope that helps.

Please be sure to accept my responses and post a positive rating.