I received some money for a settlement not yet settled, I…

Customer Question
I received some money...

I received some money for a settlement not yet settled, I exhasted all the money immediately. Does this money effect my ssi?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not now

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/7/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, yes, the money can affect your SSI.

You are required to report all money received while on SSI to Social Security Administration ("SSA"). Your SSI is based on your income and resources. If you have received additional funds, that may affect your continued eligibility for SSI. Also, your failure to report the settlement may make you subject to overpayment assessment if SSA becomes aware of the settlement. For SSA reporting requirements, click here.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.